Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Patients Become My Family

   As a night shift nurse, I always felt that my presence with my patient's during their difficult ICU stay was most beneficial at night. It is at this time that their families go home to get their much needed rest and they are left in a scary, unfamiliar environment.

   There are tubes, catheters, wires, alarms going off, blood pressure cuffs squeezing their arm frequently, bright lights, and an uncomfortable bed. This is not their home, this is their biggest fear. They want their family, their bed, and to feel better.

   I am their night shift nurse, and I am going to be their family for the night. I tell them this right away. I also make sure that my actions, my care, my words, and especially my touch, reflects this statement.

  I listen to their concerns. I let them tell me their story. Sometimes those stories are about meeting their spouse of 50 years. Other times, the stories remind me of those my Grandfather, a proud Air Force veteran, would share. Occasionally, my patient is my age and has never been sick a day in their life. 

  The one thing that all of my patient's have in common is that I become their surrogate family member for the night. I take care of them as if they were my own blood. I show them the same love and compassion my family receives.

   I become a healing presence in whatever way they need. Healing Touch is my way of helping them to relax, sleep more peacefully, relieve anxiety, and diminish their pain levels. My hands transmit that essence of love, family, and healing energy. I have been blessed for the past 11 years as an ICU nurse of having added so many different, unique, special people to my surrogate family by being their night shift nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment