Saturday, January 18, 2014

7 Essential Tips for Wellness

I frequently get asked for suggestions on what I do to maintain my health and wellness.  Although this is not a complete list, I would say that it is the core of my routine.  By following these 7 essential tips on optimal wellness, you can find a balanced physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being.

1.  Yoga-  Yoga is known to lower stress, decrease anxiety, and promote a greater sense of peace.  All of that is just from a mental perspective.  The physical benefits of yoga include building lean muscle mass, improving flexibility, and gaining strength and endurance.  Yoga can decrease your blood pressure as well as your cholesterol.  Yoga focuses on asanas or postures that open different energy centers in your body- your chakras.  Basically, yoga is amazing.  It is a powerhouse activity that balances your mind, body, and spirit.


2.  Epsom salt baths- After that first yoga class you take, no better way to follow up a detoxifying yoga class than with a detoxifying epsom salt bath. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate.   Some of the countless health benefits of epsom salt include: relaxing the nervous system, curing skin problems, soothing back pain and aching limbs, easing muscle strain, healing cuts, treating cold and congestion, and drawing toxins from the body. One of the simplest ways to ease stress and stress-related problems is to soak in a tub full of hot water with a few cups of Epsom Salt added. It has the beneficial properties that can soothe the body, mind and soul.  Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils and it becomes a heavenly retreat!


3.  Healing Touch-  As a Certified Healing Touch Practitioner, of course I am going to mention Healing Touch.  Healing Touch is a relaxing, nurturing energy therapy where a practitioner uses their hands to release congested energy in the body and biofield around the body.  Healing Touch focuses on physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being, so it is a total therapy.  If you have pain, your stressed out, or grieving the loss of a loved one, a Healing Touch treatment will help you through all of these life issues.

All healing is self healing.  We all have this innate ability to heal ourselves.  One way this can be done is through a Self Chakra Connection.  Follow along with the picture and hold each one for about a minute.  Imagine healing energy being sent from your hands directly to the part of the body your are touching.  This technique opens all of the major and minor chakras in the body and will have you feeling your best in no time.     I make sure to do a treatment on myself at least once daily.   Usually it is before a yoga class while I lay on my mat and right before I fall asleep.  I usually fall asleep before I finish all of the pictures...what a great side effect of Healing Touch....a good night's sleep!  To schedule your appointment for Healing Touch, visit my website  www.healingnurses.com.

4.  Nutritional Healing-  Diet and Nutrition play a huge role in your wellness.  You are what you eat....so if you are eating tons of fried, fatty, and processed foods, you are not going to feel very good.  Sticking to foods as close to their original form is the best, so think veggies, fruits, whole grains, and lean chicken or fish.  I personally start my day by drinking a green juice, a mixture of green leafy vegetables and green apple.  By drinking this on an empty stomach, all of the nutrients will go directly into my cells and infuse my body with some goodness.  I also enjoy drinking fruit and veggie smoothies   mixed with greek yogurt for that protein punch.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a glass of wine and some dark chocolate every now and then.  But moderation is key!


5.  Nature-  Have you ever walked along the beach or through the woods on a hike and felt stressed out??  Mother Nature with all of her glory has many calming, soothing effects.  Get outside!  Look around at all the beauty nature holds and appreciate it!  Go hug a tree.  No, really, go hug a tree and see how amazing it feels.  I play a lot of music during my Healing Touch treatments that have nature sounds and many times my client will comment how they felt like they were out in nature and it was so peaceful.  They realize how long it had been since they actually heard the sound of real ocean waves or a bird calling.  Try to spend more time in nature and find a calm, relaxing, peaceful mindset.


6.  Gratitude-  Studies have shown that people who practice gratitude tend to be happier, have fewer physical ailments,  are more optimistic, better able to cope with life stressors, and sleep better.  The University of California: Davis, recently completed a Research Study on Gratitude and its results will have you running to your nearest journal to start writing about what you are grateful for on a daily basis.  Sometimes, I will start naming off things I'm grateful for while I'm driving.  The time goes by so fast!   I feel so calm and at peace when I realize all that I am truly thankful for on a regular basis.


7.  Love-  Perhaps the most important tip for optimal wellness is Love.  I know you all love your family and friends, but the kind of love I am talking about here is Self-love.  Truly loving yourself is one of the most healing things you can do for yourself.  Letting go of negative talk, self-doubt, and resentment for previous mistakes will help you to find that self-love.  You are perfect just the way you are and deserve all the love this world has to offer.  So go ahead, look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I love you."  Your path to wellness is on its way.

What would your 7 Essential tips for Wellness be???  How do you maintain a healthy mind, body, and spirit??  Leave your tips in the comment section and see how many positive changes you can help another person make on their path to optimal health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment