Saturday, January 11, 2014

My Healing Journey


   At the age of 5 years old, I knew my path was already determined for me.  I was going to be a Nurse and make a difference in the world.  I told anyone who would listen who I was going to be when I grew up.  I knew I would be a healing presence, much like  the way my grandmother Lillian was to all who met her.  She was not a nurse, but she cured people with the simple touch of her hands and love in her heart.  She brushed away headaches with a gentle wave of her hands.  I was in awe when I watched her.  I never knew that what she was doing was considered Energy Healing and that one day I would follow in her footsteps.

     My enthusiasm for nursing and aspirations to succeed helped me to graduate at the top of my class as Valedictorian at Boston College William F. Connell School of Nursing with a Baccaulareate degree in May of 2003.  This prestigious honor granted me a highly coveted position in a New Graduate ICU training program at Boston Medical Center, a Level 1 Trauma Center in Boston, Massachusetts.  My career as an Intensive Care Unit Nurse took me to many different hospitals in the next 10 years where I was able to specialize in Oncology, Neurosurgery, Pulmonary, Cardiac, and Surgical Nursing. 

 After experiencing life in San Diego as a Travel Nurse in 2007, I decided to permanently move to San Diego in early 2010 to continue working in the finest city in America.  I loved working with one nurse in particular, who also happened to be Nurse of the Year in the ICU, Sierra Baker.  She was my inspiration for becoming a more holistic nurse.  I watched on a few occasions as she practiced Healing Touch on my patients and knew I needed to learn this wonderful technique to help my patients find pain relief and relaxation during their difficult hospital stay.
           
     A twist of fate happened in April 2011.  Just days after passing the CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse) exam, I woke up one afternoon in a hospital room with no memory of how I arrived there.  I was told I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury and had been unconscious for the past 12 hours.  I spent the new few months fighting horrendous ice-pick headaches and migraines, extreme fatigue, photophobia, and more that accompanied Post Concussive Syndrome.  I attempted returning to work only 3 months after my brain injury and suffered through unbearable headaches while putting on a smile and caring for my ICU patients. It was at this time that Sierra had begun practicing her new techniques from Level 1 Healing Touch on me to diminish my headaches when we were on our break at work.  I was amazed each time she lessened my headache.  When my Post Concussive Syndrome worsened and sent me back on disability, she urged me to take Healing Touch Level 1 so that I could learn how to heal myself.   
           
     Barbara Brennan, a well known author and Energy Healer said “If you wish to become a healer, you can.  Your first challenge is to heal yourself.  Focus on that, then focus on finding ways to help others heal themselves.  This will lead to your development as a healer.  No one can bestow healership upon another.  It is something that grows from the inside.”  In October 2011, I took my first Healing Touch Level 1 class which propelled me into a life of Love and Healing that was more amazing than I could ever imagine.  I realized the same qualities my grandmother possessed as an Energy Healer, were awakened inside of me.  “From chaos comes clarity.”
           
     My healing began immediately.  I started living my life in perfect harmony, treating myself with daily self -chakra connections, repeating positive affirmations, and reading anything I could find on Holistic Medicine.  My headaches quickly faded while my energy grew.   I aligned my physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being and realized all along I had the innate ability to heal myself.  I soon began treating friends and family and sharing this wonderful gift of healing energy with miraculous results.  I progressed along the Healing Touch International Certificate Program taking Levels 1-3 quickly, volunteering in the community sharing Healing Touch, and attending Healing Touch support groups.  Sierra and I formed a much stronger bond over our abilities to heal ourselves and others.  Our individual paths brought us together to continue on with our Healing Touch Journey.  My Traumatic Brain Injury became a blessing in disguise as I found my  true calling in life as a nurse and a healer, along with finding balance and wellness.
             
     I became a Healing Touch International Practitioner Apprentice in April 2012 after taking Level 4 Healing Touch together with Anne Day, the former president of Healing Touch International.  I had a one year mentorship, where I completed rigorous training and preparation for my journey to become a practitioner.  My mentor was Donna Cahill, who is the Healing Touch Practitioner at Scripps Mercy Hospital.  In June 2013, I completed the final level of Healing Touch International Certificate Program, Level 5, to become a Healing Touch International Practitioner.  I then completed extra requirements to achieve certification in the summer of 2013 to become a Certified Healing Touch Practitioner.  It has been the most amazing experience to fulfill my dreams and passion in life.             
     “That is the way it works.  Healing starts at home and then holographically threads through the rest of life on the planet.  In healing the self, one heals the planet.  You find faith, truth, and self-love”. 
           
     With 10 years of Intensive Care Unit experience, I am currently a Surgical ICU Nurse at Sharp Grossmont Hospital where I help my patients heal after life-threatening illnesses and injuries.  Healing Touch has become a regular treatment for my patients.  They exhibit less pain, less anxiety, and an overall sense of well-being after they receive a Healing Touch Treatment.   Outside of the hospital, I have begun a Healing Touch practice where I provide my clients with the same relaxation and pain relief that helped to heal myself.  I am also a member of Healing Touch International, American Holistic Nurses Association, and American Association of Critical Care Nurses.  I am the co-ower of Healing Nurses in Mission Valley, San Diego, California.  Check out my page.   www.healingnurses.com

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you can learn to heal yourself like this. I'm inspired. I will keep reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corinne! It's amazing what little we were taught in Nursing School about alternative therapies. We are currently in a time where people crave for more than just pills and diagnosis. They want results in the most holistic, natural way possible. Not only did I heal from a Brain Injury, but long lasting back problems i suffered from disappeared once I began receiving Healing Touch as well. The human energy field is a truly remarkable phenomenon that surprises me every day! Namaste

    ReplyDelete