Thursday, April 3, 2014

Why its ok to let some friends go

 
  For as long as I can remember, I maintained friendships far longer than I should have. I believed that once you had been friends with someone for more than a couple of years, spent a vacation or two together, and shared all of your personal intimate secrets with them, you were meant to be friends for life. Friends for life, despite the occasional disagreement or fight. Had I known what I know now, I would have saved myself a few years of betrayal and empty, shallow friendships.

   The truth is: Friendships have expiration dates. Some friendships have a long shelf life and can last as long as you live. Others go sour after a year or so. Each person that comes into our life is there for a reason. That reason may be a lesson to teach us. Perhaps they are meant to be a support system for you in your time of troubles. Sometimes they are an unwavering supply of love when we need it most. A wise friend once told me that our friends can be silver or golden. A silver friend is one you have had in your life as long as you can remember and will always be your friend. Although, your friendship is not as vibrant as you would like. A Golden friend is the one friend who is like a soul sister, shining bright, always there when you need them, and always present in your current life.

    I carried friendships way past their expiration date for many, many years. I had a hard time letting go of what once was. When I realized that I was changing, growing, and evolving, it suddenly dawned on me that my life was taking a turn in the opposite direction of a lot of my friends. It was hard accepting that truth. Opening both eyes and my heart, I really examined the quality of my friendships. It made me think twice about who I let into my life. I realized I had a lot of "party friends". I held on to my "treated me badly on multiple occasions, but we are still friends, friends". Why was I putting my energy into relationships that were past their prime and ready to expire?

    When I started to put all of my energy into discovering my true self, a shift occurred. I realized that I was this amazing, uniquely talented, compassionate, and loving woman and the people I wanted in my life needed to accept, embrace, and honor that. I was finding new spiritual truths and exploring transformational topics. Many of the people in my life didn't understand or accept the path I began to take. For all of those friends who didn't accept me, it was time to let those relationships go. I needed people in my life who wanted my highest good. Friends who loved me for exactly who I am. Once I set my intention to have only true friends in my life, the ones that were not so true easily fell to the wayside.

    Every soul has its own path and purpose. I also had to honor the place those people were at on their own journey even if it didn't align directly with my own. It's ok that those people I once called friends were on a different path. We bumped into each other and became part of each other's lives briefly to help the other learn a lesson and continue on with our journey. It may not be clear at first what that lesson or reason is, but as you grow old, you may discover the answer.

    We are all on our individual journey with people constantly weaving in and out of our lives. There are friendships that belong at different stages of our lives with different versions of who we are for a multitude of reasons. There is no need to harbor ill-will or resentments toward a friendship that has run its course. We can hold that person in our heart and send them love without maintaining a friendship. Many of our friendships will pass, but it's important to honor and find gratitude in the place they held in your life. For the friendships that survive, always show love and gratitude for those souls who walk by your side on this incredible journey we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment