Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Deleting the Need to Understand

   Healing Touch has taught me many valuable lessons. One of the most important lessons comes from Dr. Brugh Joy, a contributor to the Healing Touch curriculum. His words of wisdom that I feel is a valuable lesson is to delete the need to understand.

   After taking a Level 1 Healing Touch class, I had a LOT of questions. How does Healing Touch really work on the cellular level? Why do I feel so good after I get a treatment? How have I never heard of this in Nursing School? How can other energy healers see energy and I can't yet?

   Our instructor promptly taught us this valuble lesson. Delete the need to understand. She was completely right. I needed to stop asking questions and trust that what I was doing was helping others. I needed to trust that energy goes where it needs to go and with a strong intention, a treatment will be for the patient's highest good.

   With a technique such as Healing Touch, you can't see energy transferring from the practitioner to a patient. Sometimes it is hard to believe what you can't see. But what I can see is a person's face relax and become peaceful when their face previously showed tension and pain. I can see their breathing slow down and become shallow, where previously they may have been breathing short, ineffective, fast breaths.
 
    In the ICU setting where I work, I can see their vital signs change. Their heart rate slows down. Their blood pressure decreases. Their oxygen levels increase. On the monitor, I can see the changes I was hoping for.

    Deleting the need to understand the "how's" and the "why's" has helped me to be a better practitioner by learning to trust and believe. I've had many scientific minds ask question after question trying to dissect the technique to figure it all out. But the truth is, a scientific mind is not going to understand that which they cannot see.

   I can show that person the relaxation response from the parasympathetic nervous system as an explanation of how Healing Touch works, but there will be another question behind it about energy. I've gotten used to this type of questioning and usually have some great answers in response.

   The people who choose to experience Healing Touch usually don't care how it works. They know it feels amazing, they feel better afterwards, and usually don't need to know exactly how it works, just that it does work! When their curiousity gets the best of them, they take a Level 1 class to learn for themselves. They too will learn to delete the need to understand and will reap all the benefits of learning a relaxing, nurturing energy treatment.

   To learn more about what Healing Touch is, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment